B1 Level Writing Assignment with Sample Essay.

Topic: Describe Your Favorite Hobby

Instructions: Write a composition describing your favorite hobby. Explain why you enjoy it, how you got interested in it, and any memorable experiences you have had related to your hobby. Use specific examples and details to support your ideas. Aim to write a well-organized essay of about 250-300 words.

Sample Response:

My Favorite Hobby: Photography

One of my favorite hobbies is photography. I developed an interest in it when I received a camera as a gift for my 13th birthday. Since then, I have been capturing moments and exploring the world through my lens. Photography has become an essential part of my life, and I find great joy in capturing special moments and beautiful scenes.

What I love most about photography is its ability to freeze a moment in time. It allows me to capture emotions, tell stories, and create lasting memories. Whether it's a stunning sunset, a candid shot of a friend laughing, or a close-up of a flower, each photograph holds its own unique story. It's fascinating how a single image can convey so much.

One memorable experience I had with photography was during a family vacation to the countryside. I woke up early one morning to capture the sunrise over the rolling hills. As I stood there, waiting for the perfect shot, I felt a sense of tranquility and awe. When I looked back at the photographs later, they captured the beauty and serenity of that moment, transporting me back to that peaceful morning.

In terms of grammar, the sample response demonstrates the use of the past tense and present tense appropriately. It also includes a variety of sentence structures, such as simple, compound, and complex sentences. Additionally, the response utilizes descriptive vocabulary to paint a vivid picture, such as "stunning sunset," "candid shot," and "vibrant colors."

There are a few difficult words that may pose a challenge for ESL students. They include:

1.  Candid: Meaning "unposed" or "natural," often used to describe photographs taken without the subject's knowledge.

2.  Tranquility: Refers to a state of calmness and peace.

3.  Awe: A feeling of deep respect, admiration, or wonder.

Overall, this writing assignment provides students with an opportunity to express their thoughts and experiences related to their favorite hobby. The sample response showcases a personal connection to the hobby of photography, offering specific examples and descriptive language. It encourages students to practice their writing skills, grammar usage, and vocabulary expansion.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________