Title: The Lost Kitten -- An A1 level reading exercise for ESL students.
Once upon a time, in a small village, there was a little girl named Emily. Emily loved animals, especially cats. One day, as she was walking home from school, she heard a faint meowing sound coming from a nearby bush.
Curious, Emily approached the bush and found a tiny, fluffy kitten hiding inside. The poor kitten looked scared and lost. Emily gently picked up the kitten and held it close to her chest.
Emily decided to take the kitten home and take care of it until she could find its owner. She named the kitten Whiskers because it had long, white whiskers that twitched whenever it was curious.
Emily asked her parents if she could keep Whiskers until they found its owner. Her parents agreed, but they reminded her that they needed to find the kitten's family as soon as possible.
The next day, Emily made flyers with a picture of Whiskers and her contact information. She put the flyers up around the village and asked her friends and neighbors if they had seen the kitten before.
Days went by, but nobody came forward to claim Whiskers. Emily was starting to worry that she might never find the kitten's family. She grew fond of Whiskers and loved playing with her every day.
One evening, as Emily was playing with Whiskers in the garden, a little girl came running towards them. She had tears in her eyes. "That's my kitten!" she cried. "Her name is Snowball, and she got lost a few weeks ago."
Emily's heart sank, realizing that Whiskers was actually Snowball, the little girl's lost kitten. She hugged Snowball tightly and said, "I'm so sorry for keeping her. I thought she was lost and didn't have a family."
The little girl smiled through her tears and said, "Thank you for taking care of Snowball. She looks happy and healthy because of you." Emily handed Snowball back to the little girl, feeling a mix of happiness and sadness.
Although Emily was sad to say goodbye to Snowball, she knew it was the right thing to do. She waved goodbye as the little girl and Snowball walked away, their tails swaying happily.
- Who is the main character in the story?
- What did Emily find in the bush?
- How did Emily take care of the kitten?
- Why did Emily make flyers?
- Did Whiskers belong to Emily or someone else?
- How did Emily feel when she had to give Whiskers back?
- Was it the right thing for Emily to do? Why or why not?
- Have you ever helped someone or something? How did it make you feel?
- 41 All Categories
- 1 For Teachers
- Post Your Resume
- 1 Bad Schools To Work For
- Good School to Work For.
- 31 For Students
- 1 Language Schools
- 2 Reading
- Health Articles for Reading Improvement
- 2 News Stories for Reading Improvement
- 8 Short Stories for Reading Improvement
- 11 Writing Help
- 1 Describe the Pictures
- Other Standardized Tests, such as the PET.
- TOEFL Discussions
- 5 IELTS Discussions
- 1 Speaking
- 11 Grammar Help Area
- 2 Teacher Mark's English Videos
- 10 Job Postings
- 6 Remote ESL Jobs
- Jobs in the United States
- International Job Openings
- 4 Jobs in S. Korea
- Jobs in China
- Jobs in Japan
- 7 General Discussions
- 1 Job Recruitment Sites
- 1 Visa Help